TITLE: Child Protection Advisor
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fix term
POST STATUS: national
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: (select only one)
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
As a member of the Program Development and Quality team (PDQ), this Child Protection (CP) Advisor is responsible for leading the development of CP strategy and an impactful and innovative child protection program that delivers immediate and lasting change for children in China.
The role will coordinates the research on CP policies and local needs among marginalized children, develop CO”s CP strategy and design CO’s CP programme that focuses on (1) prevention, identification and response to violation against child rights (2) contribute to an evidence-based CP policy framework in the country and (3) build up the capacity of local social service providers to deliver support to children and (4) strengthen local Child Protection Systems. The role supports national advocacy and influencing, while driving strategic partnerships for new business development. It supports the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems to demonstrate impact, while sharing learning across our programmes, teams and partners. The role will work closely with programme delivery colleagues and with partners.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: PDQ Director
Staff reporting to this post: N/A
Budget Responsibilities: according to SoD
Role Dimensions: The role is expected to foster relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including Save the Children members, Regional Advisors, technical counterparts in other organisation, donors and academia etc. Regular field travel required, as well as representation in front of government and other relevant strategic partners and stakeholders. The role will serve as the research hub on CP sector in the country office.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
Strategic Planning (5%)
· Undertake the development/updating of the Child Protection Situation Analysis, including analysis of country context and that of the global
· Coordinate the development of the country child protection strategy and seamlessly integrate it into the CO’s overall strategy to create and enhance synergy with other thematic strategies
· Advocate and implement life-cycle model in the CP strategy development .
· Contribute to the Country Strategy Plan (CSP) from the child protection perspective that is in line with the global strategy, Ambition 2030 and Save the Children’s global child protection programme.
· Provide input to the development of the Country Annual Plan, monitoring of progress against the plan, and completion of accurate, on-time Country Annual Report of outcomes and impact for children, aligned with the Global Results Framework.
· Forward thinking to ensure the CO CP strategy meet the needs of the most vulnerable children among emerging challenges
Program Design & Development (30%)
· Coordinate the conceptualization and design of cost effective, innovative and high quality CP programs based on CP situation analysis and informed by child participation where possible, and proposal development for such programs/ projects.
· Support the PDQ Director to ensure technical engagement with donors to pre-position and prepare for opportunities, and engage in strategic positioning work directly as appropriate.
· Play a leading role in designing CP programme proposals, including:
-Engaging with technical experts as needed to ensure high quality, evidence-based designs that draw on needs assessments, learning from past programs and child safeguarding principles;
-Ensuring partners are identified and appropriately engaged in program design, linking with Operations and Awards teams as needed for assessments, especially to strengthen gender sensitivity at design stage;
-Ensuring proposal designs and their budgets include robust MEAL plans that are aligned with the Global Results Framework (and therefore advance towards our Breakthroughs), incorporate Common Approaches as relevant, and build in critical learning questions.
-Ensuring the project budget will enable the project to be delivered as designed
-Incorporating child and community participation into design, as relevant.
-Ensure the integration of cross cutting issues and life-cycle model into design and implementation including gender, resilience , disbiltity, child participation and child safeguarding
Programme Quality and Programme Technical Excellence (40%)
· Ensure the country CP program delivers high quality, multi-sectoral programming in both development and humanitarian contexts (as appropriate).
· Monitor the quality of programmes, including conducting regular field visits to provide feedback on quality benchmarks, soliciting inputs for design of new programs and collecting ideas for innovation.
· Monitor program Key Performance Indicators and, in partnership, at the guidance of PDQ Director, take steps to improve the quality programming platform to meet agreed upon standards.
· Work closely with the field teams to ensure Quality Framework standards are met and procedures are followed throughout the project cycle and across the portfolio.
· Ensure CP technical experts proactively and regularly communicate planned requirements for program design, learning and implementation to relevant CO departments/functions.
· Build a team of program technical experts needed to successfully deliver against the CSP. Ensure effective working relationships with SC global, Member and regional as well as local technical advisors, procuring technical support as needed to support program and advocacy efforts, including during Emergencies.
· Ensure that the technical support in different CP projects of the Country Office are coordinated, integrated and support each other to optimize programs and projects.
· Ensure that child safeguarding and safe programming is embedded in program design and considered throughout implementation to ensure that we do all we can to ensure children in our programs are safe, in line with our child safeguarding policy.
· Leverage the synergy among different sectors and programmes and ensure the cross-sector knowledge and experience sharing
Partnerships and external representation (5%)
· Represent CO in global and local discussions and working groups on CP topics..
· Develop and maintain a network of external experts on child protection practice and policies.
Management of key national initiatives and advocacy efforts (15%)
· Oversee the management of key national child protection initiatives, and coordinate national level relationships.
· Coordinate the development of child protection advocacy priorities and strategies, in close coordination with child protection project team and the Communications team.
· Identify key opportunities and events for Save the Children to position itself as the leading organisation for child protection in China.
· Mobilize inhouse expertise to proactively participate in the country national CP policy development
· Ensure Advocacy and Campaigns is integrated into programme development and implementation
Knowledge Management and Learning (5%)
· Ensure the research, evaluation and policy work of the Country Office contributes to generation of evidence for development and improvement of Common Approaches, sound decision making and policy influencing internally and externally.
· Drive the consolidation and update of knowledge generated in the CO CP programmes and establish effective program learning and knowledge management systems to support adaptive programming and innovation that improves outcomes for children.
· Contribute to the development of the CO into a learning organization in collaboration with other teams
Other ad hoc tasks as assigned by the line manager
· The post-holder may be required to support and/or deliver activities beyond the scope of this job description, for instance providing support to an emergency response or delegating for a colleague or other ad hoc tasks as assigned by the line manager.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, within their team and across other functional teams, as well as members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
· Willing and able to comply to policies regarding fraud, child safeguarding and professional conduct
· Master’s degree on child psychology, social work, socialology, child welfare, international development or equivalent fields.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Over 5 years working experiences with preferably experiences on program design, development, monitoring and evaluation, policy research and advocacy in a given or broader field related to child protection.
· Strong skills and proven experience in policy research and situation analysis, and programme development, project design and proposal writing
· Good knowledge about Child Protection sector in China and social work with children and families
· Experience in case management, positive parenting, community level child protection and integration of child protection with education and other sectors.
· Well-connected with stakeholders and communities in CP sector is a must
· Excellent listening, inter-personal, communication and networking skills; proven experience and effectiveness working across functional teams and in a matrixed structure; and an ability to work in multi-culture context.
· Skills in training, capability building, coaching, mentorship, problem solving, and project cycle management.
· High level of self-awareness and willingness to take feedback for growth and self-development.
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Mandarin
· Able to work under stress
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff: The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
If you are interested in this position, please read the Child Safeguarding first, then would you please click below link to fill in your job application form in SCI Recruitment System before 2021-11-19 If you have any questions about the job application, please contact us by email: email@example.com
Save the Children Internal Candidates:
Save the Children external Candidates: